The building was designed and built for the Brussels World's Fair (1958), for which it was the flagship building and emblem. With the slogan a world for a better life for mankind, Expo 58 wanted to be an expression of the democratic will to maintain peace among all nations, of faith in both technical and scientific progress and, finally, an optimistic vision of the future of the new, modern and hyper-technological world that should enable mankind to live better lives.
It was thus this vision of the peaceful use of atomic energy for scientific purposes that determined the design and construction of the Atomium.
The Atomium was not intended to survive beyond the 1958 World's Fair. However, at the dawn of the 2000s, the uniqueness and highly symbolic character of the building resulted in a major restoration.
Since its reopening and the introduction of a new cultural and tourism project : one that many do not hesitate to call the most Belgian of monuments not only rediscovered its place as an international symbol and icon but also became the most popular attraction in the Capital of Europe.