THE ATOMIUM IN FIGURES
- Spheres: 9, corresponding to the nine atom unit cell making up an iron crystal
- Diameter of the spheres: 18 m
- Mass of the spheres: approximately 250 tonnes
- Distance between the spheres: 29 m
- Tubes: 20
- Diameter of the tubes: 3 m
- Height: 102 m
- Diameter of the base pavilion: 26 m
- Mass: 2,400 tonnes during its construction in 1958, 2,500 following its restoration in 2006
A series of records
- In 1958, due to its height, the Atomium is ranked the 6th largest built metal structure in the world.
- In 1958, it had the fastest lift in Europe. It could carry 500 people an hour at a speed of 5 metres per second (18 km/h).
- In 1958, the escalators were among the fastest in Europe. The longest measures 35 metres and could carry 3000 people per hour.